How to setup Document of Record (DOR) for Salary Certificates
The following case shows how to use the Document of Record (DOR) functionality on Oracle ERP Cloud by implementing the salary certificate request which is usually requested manually from the HR department. Applying the standard Document of Record functionally will reduce the manual work and expedite the process.
The following information represents the HR requirements to issue a salary certificate:
To implement the above requirement, we need to follow the following:
1. Create Document Category
- Document categories (for example, absence) provide a way to group these documents into meaningful categories at a higher level. Document subcategories (for example, general or medical) provide further grouping of documents. Use the DOCUMENT_CATEGORY lookup type to define new document categories and subcategories. Define document categories as values for the DOCUMENT_CATEGORY lookup type and document subcategories as extended lookup values for the selected category.
- To create a category search for the task, Manage Common Lookups and then search for the lookup type DOCUMENT_CATEGORY. Under section DOCUMENT_CATEGORY: Lookup Codes you will see several categories delivered by oracle. You can make use of them or create your own category. For our business requirement, we will create a new category called Reimbursement. For the same click on the + (new) icon and enter details as follows.
Lookup Code: CERTIFICATE
- Once you entered all these details, click the Save and Close button.
2. Create Document Subcategories
- Now as per the requirements, we will create two subcategories. To create subcategories, search for the task Manage Extended Lookup Codes. You will be on the Extended Lookup Codes On this screen search for entry Document Category under section Lookup Types. Now scroll below and under the section Document Category: Manage Extended Lookup Codes click on + Add icon, to create subcategories.
- Now add all your subcategories one by one and click on save.
- Once you enter all these details, click Save.
3. Create Document Types
- To create Document Types, search for the task Document Types. In the Search Results section, click on the + Create button and enter the details for each section as given below.
Document Type Information
- Name: Salary Certificate
- Country: United Arab Emirates
- Category: Certificate
- Subcategory: Salary Certificate
- Status: Active
- Minimum Attachments: 1 employee has to attach at least one document, but we will keep it 0 no documents required
- Approval Required: Yes
- Allow Multiple Occurrences: Yes. This allows the employee to submit multiple requests.
- Publish Required: No. If you require any document to be available only between selected time, choose Yes. But since we want workers to submit reimburse anytime it is set to No.
- Enable Document Delivery Preference: No
Document Record Preferences
- Restrict Create: No
- Restrict Update: Yes, we do need the employee to update the approved request so select Yes.
- Restrict Delete: Yes, we do need the employee to update the approved request so select Yes.
- Now add all your subcategories one by one (Salary Certificate) and click on save.
- After you enter all the details, click on the Submit You will receive a confirmation message. Click on the OK button and you will be taken back to the Documents Type page. Once you save the record, you will not be able to change the attributes highlighted in red.
- You can create another document. You do not need to enter all the details from scratch. You have the option to copy/duplicate existing documents. Let’s see how it works.
- When you are on the Documents Type page, search for the document we just created -Salary Certificate Letter.
- You will see the document in the search result section. While that document name is selected, click on the Duplicate button. This will take you to Create Document Type page. On this screen, you can update/change the details as per the requirement.
- For another certificate, if required etc. salary transfer certificate, every detail would be the same expecting the following attributes, so change these values and save the record.
- Type: Certificate
- Subcategory: Create a new one called (Salary Transfer Certificate)
4. Create Contexts Sensitive Segments
As per the requirement, we also need to create the following context-sensitive fields for the Salary Certificate letter request.
To get it done, search for the task Document Records Descriptive Flexfields and open it.
You will be on Document Records Descriptive Flexfields page. On this screen, click on the Edit button.
On this screen, click the Manage Contexts button which takes you to the Manage Contexts page. On this screen click on the + Create button under the Search Results section, this will take you to Create Context. Your screen will look like this.
How to get the context code for Document of Record?
Now to have our segments populated based on the document type we select; we need to know the Context Code of our document type. There are two ways to get the Context Code.
Get context code from the back end
The context code of a document type is stored in the table HR_DOCUMENT_TYPES_B So you can run the query below to get the context code of any document type.
order by creation_date desc
Context codes are in uppercase and prefixed with the country code. If you see the extract above, our context codes for, (Salary certificate) are listed below.
How these codes are generated is explained in the second method.
Now we have got the context code, let’s enter the details as follows:
- Display Name: GLB_SALARY_CERTIFICATE
- Context Code: GLB_SALARY_CERTIFICATE
- API Name: Accept Default
- Enabled: Yes
Once you click on the Save button, menus under the section Context-Sensitive Segments will become active. Now click on the + Create button under the Context Sensitive Segments section. One by one, enter all your segments here.
Once done, click on the Save and Close button. You will be taken back to the Manage Contexts page.
Just follow the steps above to create segments for the Transfer letter. Click on Save and Close again and you will be on Document Records Descriptive Flexfields page. Click on the Save and Close button and again, and you will be on the screen below.
Click on the Deploy Flexfield button and let the process complete.
5. How employees can use Document of Record
To check the DOR that we created,
- Navigate to Me » Personal Information » Document Record
- You will be taken to the Document Records page. Click on the + Add button to add a document.
- Then search for the document name (Salary Certificate)
- After you select the Salary Certificate request, the document will open like the below screen and will automatically select the Context Value that we have created and you will see the segment.
- Based on the input, it will go for approval, if you keep the DOR without approval it will reflect on the employee DOR profile directly.
Author: Ahmed Mosad, Senior Oracle HCM Consultant